What you'll need...
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips (I use a pizza cutter to cut into strips...easy!)
- 1 1/4 cups green enchilada sauce
- 1 1/4 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes with zesty jalapenos
- 1 small can green chilies
- 1 can yellow corn
- 1 can hominy
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
Combine chicken stock and tortilla strips in a large pot. Cook over medium heat until strips soften and broth thickens slightly. Stir in green and red enchilada sauces and cumin. Stir in turkey, water and half-and-half; heat through but do not boil.
Divide soup among four bowls and garnish avocado and cheese (I've opted out of the cheese both times and haven't regretted saving a few calories).
I tweaked the original recipe found here.
Sidenote: the tortillas will be a soft almost mushy like texture...which, to me, resembled a thin dumpling. Didn't want you to expect crunchy tortilla's and get the opposite.
Hope you enjoy this soup it as much as we do!
Hope this finds you having a great 'Cyber Monday'!