Thursday, December 23, 2010
Monday, November 29, 2010
What you'll need...
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch strips (I use a pizza cutter to cut into strips...easy!)
- 1 1/4 cups green enchilada sauce
- 1 1/4 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes with zesty jalapenos
- 1 small can green chilies
- 1 can yellow corn
- 1 can hominy
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
Combine chicken stock and tortilla strips in a large pot. Cook over medium heat until strips soften and broth thickens slightly. Stir in green and red enchilada sauces and cumin. Stir in turkey, water and half-and-half; heat through but do not boil.
Divide soup among four bowls and garnish avocado and cheese (I've opted out of the cheese both times and haven't regretted saving a few calories).
I tweaked the original recipe found here.
Sidenote: the tortillas will be a soft almost mushy like texture...which, to me, resembled a thin dumpling. Didn't want you to expect crunchy tortilla's and get the opposite.
Hope you enjoy this soup it as much as we do!
Hope this finds you having a great 'Cyber Monday'!
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Friday, November 19, 2010
O Christmas Card, O Christmas Card…
Which design will we order?
There are so many cute cards this year
Choosing one is impossible
O Christmas Card, O Christmas Card…
Which design will we order?
This year we’re taking the same route as last year and sending out Christmas photo cards again! The photo cards seemed to be a big hit with the relatives since we never had any edited wedding photos printed for them.
We’ll be ordering our cards online from Shutterfly, which is a simple process. No going in a store, ordering, waiting a few days and going back to the store to pick them up. I’ll be ordering them from the comfort of my home…then walking to my mailbox to retrieve them in about a week!
I’ve narrowed my search for Christmas Cards down to these 3 designs… (feel free to comment and tell me which one is your favorite)
Monday, November 8, 2010
It’s become apparent that my husband thinks I’m gullible. If I had a dollar for every time he’s tried to pull a fast one over on me, I’d have a new winter wardrobe!
Seriously the man thinks I’ll continue to fall for his little pranks…..think again, mister! The days of falling for the foolishness are over! (I hope) I’m catching on to these little jokes! It’s become fairly common to hear the words ‘say you swear’ come from my mouth in ordinary conversations when he’s just told me something that seems the tiniest bit far-fetched!
Most recently (last night) he tried to pull a prank over on me (that many people have fallen for according to the number of Youtube Videos you'll find when you search "bowl of water ceiling prank".)
NOT ME SUCKAAAA! I suppose he thinks I’m oblivious to viral pranks floating around the Internet. Newsflash: I’m surfing the web ALL DAY at work…I’m immersed in social media and chances are if a video becomes a viral phenomenon…I’ve probably seen it thanks to a room of 60 social media scavengers that I call co-workers.
Rather than try to describe the prank…you can just watch it for yourself…
Now for our little convo
Husband: "Hey…I have this really cool magic trick to show you!"
Me: (hesitation in my voice) "You do?"
Husband: "Yeah…give me a second"
(he goes into the kitchen…Fills a plastic up with water and grab the swiffer sweeper)
Me: "What kind of trick is this?" (more hesitation in my voice)
Husband: "You’ll see... "
Me: "Oooooook" (doubting there's any magic involved in what he's about to show me)
Husband: “Ok…come check this out....”
Me: “No…You show me…” (I watch the madness unfold from my spot on the couch)
Husband: “Ok I’m going to place this cup of water on the ceiling” (the proceeds to hold the cup of water up to the ceiling and while the holding the pole of the swiffer in his other hand) “Now I need you to come over here and hold the swiffer in place for me” (begins to place the pole to the bottom of the cup)
Me: "WHAT?!!? NO!!! Do you really think I’m that stupid!?!? I’ve seen this trick! You’re going to get me to hold the pole...then you’re going to run off! NO….I DON’T THINK SO!!!”
Husband: “Awww man! You’ve seen this trick?”
Me: “Yeah….and you’re a dummy for thinking I’m going to fall for it!”
He walks back in the kitchen…cup and swiffer in hand…head hung low!
“Never underestimate a man’s ability to underestimate a woman,” ~Kathleen Turner
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
- Do some research and find out which grocery stores in town have the lowest prices. I've found that Kroger is cheaper than Publix...so when I have a list of groceries we need...I opt for Kroger. Though Publix does have some good BOGO deals from time to time.
- If there's a Super H Mart or Asian supermarket in your area...buy your produce there! I talked about the amazing produce I got for even more amazing prices in this post.
- Follow money-saving blogs. Some of these blogs post 5 or more money-saving post a day! A few of my favorites are Coupon Cravings, Stretching a Buck, and Coupon Mom. I promise they're about more than just coupons.
- Use Restaurant.com Why would you pay full price for a meal when you could visit this website, buy a $25 gift certificate for oh....$4 bucks!! PLUS Restaurant.com usually has a coupon code you can use for 70%-90% off that already super cheap price! There's over 15,000 restaurants on Restaurant.com! Oh...and if there is a coupon code, Coupon Mom's blog usually lets you know about it!
- Subscribe to sites like Groupon and Living Social! Frugal Coupon Living describes it best...these sites "feature a daily deal on the best stuff to do, see, eat, and buy in cities around the world. These cities are usually larger cities. There is a new deal each day. You can sign up for daily alerts or visit the site each day. These deals can be tricky – first it has to meet a quota. Meaning the deal is not good until a certain number of people sign up for it and buy it – the collective buying power. If that number is not reached, you are not charged. If it is met, then the deal is live and rolling! Anyone can buy."
- Sign up for FREE samples. I've received some of the coolest free samples! It's like Christmas year round. I never know what little package I'll receive in the mail each week to try. I've received any thing from lotion, to fabric softener, a beautiful display of 6 salad dressings, snacks, and even hair products. It only takes a few seconds to fill out the online forms and within a few weeks you'll have a sample in your mailbox. Bonus: I have not been harassed with junk email or follow up surveys after receiving the samples.
- Last but not least...actually my favorite...shop at discount retailers like TJMaxx, Ross and Marshalls! Yes...it may take a little longer to find something on the rack than say...Nordstrom. But it's totally worth it to snag designer clothing for 75% off the regular price! And speaking of Nordstrom...if there's a Nordstrom Rack in your area...check it out. There's one at the Mall of Georgia and I've found some super steals there! BCBG $100 ruby red pumps for $34 bucks! $99 boots I fell in love with last year at Nordstrom for $36 this year. I love them more now!
Thursday, September 30, 2010
- Some of Cory’s evening clients were out of town so we got to spend more time together during the evening this week. I’ve really enjoyed hearing his voice when I walk in the house. I also loved sitting down to eat dinner and talking about our day before 8:30pm.
- Girls dinner….I meet some of my girlfriends one evening each week for dinner. Last week we painted and had a blast! I don’t think I’ve picked up a paintbrush since Ms. Carrell's class in high school. I was a little rusty, but I think there might be more painting in my future. Tonight we meet at my favorite local Italian joint for dinner on the patio. Hopefully the rain will move out of Northeast Georgia by then. Some times a girl just needs girl-time! I'll take the Penne alla Vodka, thank you very much!
- I’m going home. Those words are music to my ears. There are few better feelings than the feeling of driving back to home (if home is a place you cherish). I’m spending the weekend with my sweet parents (while Cory's doing guy stuff) and I just can’t wait. Sleeping in my old bed, snuggling and playing with my little black pup, Chloe and her best bud, Crouton, having coffee with my parents in the sunroom…just like old times. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE my life now, but there’s just something special about going home.
- Hurricanes football…that’s right…I’m going to the homecoming game! I haven’t sat in the stands and cheered on my alma mater, the Monroe Area High School Purple Hurricanes in 6 years…but this Friday is homecoming and Monroe is undefeated thus far in the season (considering they’ve had really terrible losing records for years and years…this is a BIG deal if you’re from the small town of Monroe, GA). I’ll be in the stands with my parent’s who are also Purple Hurricanes. I doubt I’ll dust off an old out-dated ‘Monroe Area’ sweatshirt from my days as a cheerleader, but I’ll be there…probably wearing a sticker that says ‘Class of 2001’ = awesome!
This week has been filled with more than just good news. With the good comes the bad...peaks and valleys...ups and downs…right?
You see...I have this plan…it’s not written on paper…it’s not saved in some secret file…but I have it…in my head…in my heart…so to speak. And a lot (personally) is riding on this plan.
I was reminded this week (yet again)…that life isn’t always going to go as I plan. It’s not up to me. It never was and it never will be. Just because I really really really want something so badly, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen when, where and how I want it to.
So I’m swallowing some pride…re-evaluating….and grasping on to some faith that in the end…I have these desires for a reason. I’m not giving up on my goals, my sights are set on the prize. I’m holding tight to my belief that the perfect situation will work out in God’s perfect timing (not MY timing).Somehow along the rabbit trails of blogs I follow…I ended up on a new blog today….and read this….
"Whenever God gives you a vision, He places obstacles in your path. Why? So that you can become all that He created you to be. God doesn’t place these obstacles in your path to destroy you but to develop you. His greatest desire is to work out what He has built in." ~Michael Hyatt
His timing didn’t fail me today!
Friday, September 24, 2010
I’ll admit…I was apprehensive at first. "A blog?!?! What in the world would I say on said blog?!?! No way… I could ever be a ‘blogger’…nope…not for me! Plus I’d probably just make people mad because I’m sarcastic...or maybe I'd just bore them to death! It’s not going to be a rainbows and puppies type blog. Seriously...people probably won’t read it." Well friends…I jumped the blogging fence and here I am on the other side….a blogger (not a great, dedicated, I update my blog every day-type blogger...but a blogger none the less)!
(Back to the point of this post…sorry for the rabbit trail.) Blogger or not, do you read other blogs? Sure, you’re reading this (not-so-impressive) blog, but do you read other blogs…you know...the I-can’t-stop-reading/this-is-the-most-amazing-blog-ever type blogs? Because if you don’t…let me tell you…you’re missing out! I'm addicted to reading a number of awesome blogs!
Maybe you don’t know where to look to find these oh-so-amazing blogs I speak of….if this is the case, allow me to share some of my favorite blogs with you.
Disclaimer: Sometimes I feel like a stalker because I follow these blogs women/men I’ve never met, I’ll probably never meet…but I know about them, their family, their summer vacation, their latest struggles and triumphs and I must admit….I LOVE IT!!!
Following other blogs has given me insight into future parenthood, decorating ideas, marriage, new recipes, vacation suggestions, fashion trends….seriously…the possibilities of things you’ll learn from reading blogs is endless.
No joke...I refer to these blogs as 'crack blogs'. My friends who also already read these blogs concur...they're ADDICTIVE!
If you find yourself with a few extra minutes to spare…these are a must-read….
(**side note…these are all blogs of people I’ve never met…not blogs that my friends write)
- Fly Through Our Window –get ready to be inspired (seriously…I want to be Darby!)
- Spilled Milk – real...raw…funny…mother for a 1 year-old balancing a career as a lawyer, a recent move to Savannah
- The Maddox Family – adventures of a family making their way in a new city, Seattle
- Young House of Love – Young couple and their new baby completely re-do their home…awesome decorating/remodeling ideas
- The Nesting Place – Hello decorating heaven! This girl knows how to decorate…on a BUDGET!
- Love Megan – Can’t get enough of this LA born and raised fashion guru
- MODG – Stands for Martinis or Diaper-Genies…enough said…get ready to LOL!(it's my guilty pleasure!)
- Get Off Your Butt and Bake – Looking for a new recipe to try? Trying to decide what’s for dinner tonight? Read this blog!
Okay…now you’re thinking…that’s a lot of blogs to keep up with, Brooke! (trust me...that’s not half of the blogs I follow…just some of the best) How do I keep up with all of these blogs? Do I type in the URL and check for new post every day? Nope. Do I add them to my book marks and run down the list everyday looking for updates? Not a chance!
I use Google Reader! The geniuses over at Google have provided us with this web-based feed reader to keep up with blogs and news. Take a look! You’ll love it. To keep up with all my favorite blogs I just sign into my Google Reader account each day and tadaaaa…there’s a list of all the blogs I follow. If there’s a recent update to the blog…it’s in bold with the number of updates beside it. It looks like this…Feel free to leave me a comment if you have questions about Google Reader.
I left out a few of my favorite money-saving blogs...because I have plenty to say about those and well...that's another post for another day!
Let me know what you think about the blogs I suggested...
Thursday, September 16, 2010
I doubt the 44 other blogs I write each week has nothing to do with it! The subject of my next blog post dawned on me today.
I'll try to post it after I run and torture myself on the bleachers of Flowery Branch High School this afternoon.
Here's a hint...
It involves recently captured candid shots and the ridiculously horrific faces I make!
In the mean time...I'll leave you with this...some pretty great YouTube videos you might have missed.....
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Monday, July 19, 2010
As we enter the first thing I see is display of bright ruby-red cartons of strawberries...the SAME brand they sell at Publix...for an incredibly cheap price (2 cartons for .99 cents)! Those SAME strawberries are "on sale" this week at Publix 2 cartons for $5! I'm serious!!!
That sealed the deal....I needed to look no further...I'd just discovered my new hot spot for produce! We wandered around the store, sampled some beef dumplings in the food court (amazing!)....I was in 'new experience overload'!!! I had to look at every piece of meat, every fish, every soup, every candy....EVERYTHING! I couldn't get enough!
Next stop was my second request of the day...Mirko Pasta. I had no idea they'd opened a location in Buford, but boy was I excited to discover it! More on that another day!...
So I spent an additional $11 on 34 delicious handmade beef and shrimp dumplings! And therefore...I feel like I've stolen a cart of groceries!
That cart of groceries cost me half of what I would have spent at the other local grocery store!
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Wednesday, June 30, 2010
I wondered what color blooms I'd get this year since the color of the blooms depends on the composition of the soil. When I planted them they had a few wilted pink blooms.
I anticipated pink or blue...it was like finding out the gender of your child but much less exciting I'm sure (HA!)...
Have a fun and safe Independence Day!!!
Monday, June 21, 2010
Friday, June 4, 2010
A friend of mine shared this quote today and I just love it...
(warning: if you're the mushy, sentimental quote type...you probably won't be quoting this one!)
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
photo credit: d u y g y
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Happy Hump Day to all!
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
So...our big 1 year anniversary is coming up in a week and a half. For my gift to Cory I decided we'd finally get some professional pics made in which I wasn't wearing my wedding dress. We'd originally scheduled our session with our photographer for Saturday morning. But it was way too cloudy and dark Saturday morning to capture any good shots.
After talking to Kevin, our photographer, we decided to give Sunday morning a shot. We met Kevin around 7am on Sunday in downtown Flowery Branch. Sunday morning was HUMID! Actually humid is an understatement...HOT and MUGGY seems to be a more appropriate description! The sun was trying to peek through the clouds at the beginning of our shoot, but by the end the dark clouds prevailed. (Though Sunday afternoon was gorgeous, so we hit the lake!)
Our original plan was to take some shots downtown then head to the marina to get some shots by the lake. BUT due to the increasing cloud cover, we postponed the lake shots. So stay tuned for those! Here are a few from Sunday morning...more to come...